About William Meffert
B.A. Duke (Magna cum laude). M.D. Yale Medical School. Six year surgical residency, Yale. Winchester Scholar in cardiothoracic surgical research, Yale University
- Army combat surgeon in Vietnam.
- Cardiovascular surgery for 30 years in Iowa.
- Volunteer surgeon Haiti, Russia, and China.
- Consulting Professor for Stanford University, Department of Surgery
- Certified flight instructor.
- Carpenter for nonprofit organizations.
Literary interest is primarily short fiction; stories published in AOPA pilot magazine, The Vietnam Archive, Crack the Spine, Cutthroat, Tons of Black Ink, Evergreen Review, The MacGuffin, The Helix Magazine, Ars Medica., and the upcoming first edition of The Pegasus Review.
I have presented live (350 people in audience) First Do No Harm at the Nocturnist in San Francisco and a podcast at the Nocturnist. 2018, 2019.
A nonfiction book about my father and of me, both combat surgeons, is in progress.